For those who love reading, there is no better device than Amazon’s Kindle. Kindle has improved a lot over the period of time. At present, it is available in different models, notably: New Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis. Let’s discuss about the most affordable of them all – “Kindle E-reader“.
All-new Kindle e-reader is 11% thinner and 16% lighter than the previous generation Kindle, making it easy and comfortable to hold in one hand. It is available in black or white color. Unlike reflective tablet and smartphone screens, the high contrast touchscreen display eliminates glare in any setting – even direct sunlight.
It has a 6 inch display with Glare-Free touchscreen but no Built-in Light. The screen provides a resolution of 167 ppi.
It weights around 161 grams and has a 4 GB of internal storage, which can hold a large number of books. Apart from this you will also get free cloud storage for all Amazon content. If we talk about the battery, it’s battery can last up-to weeks on a single charge and can be fully charged in approximately 4 hours from a computer via USB cable.
As far as connectivity is concerned, it can only be connected through a Wi-Fi. It supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or WPS.
It supports good number of file formats including Kindle Format 8, Kindle, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP through conversion.
Highlights of New Kindle
Let’s talk about some of the good features of this device:
- It has a 6″ e-ink display which very much looks like paper and feels like reading a physical book.
- You can read for long time without any eye strain.
- A lot slimmer & lighter than other such devices.
- There are no glares on screen.
- Great for reading in daylight.
- Once charged, the battery can last more than a week.
- Hundreds or even thousands of books can be stored as the e-book file sizes are small.
- You can get e-book version of almost any book at comparatively lower price.
- You can read books in your regional languages as well, font works well (There are lot of kindle e-books in regional languages available in Amazon, and still growing).
- You can even side-load PDF files, but the best suited file extension is mobi.
- You can also read Comics and Manga by side-loading them in PDF format.
- You can read without any distractions like message or e-mail notifications.
- There is no better alternative for this price.
- The Dictionary and Wikipedia options are very much helpful.
- The ‘Vocabulary builder’ is so good in improving your vocabulary.
Drawbacks of New Kindle
It also has some shortcomings mainly:
- It is difficult to read in low light as there is no back-light in the device.
- The charging cable is too small.
- Flickering of e-ink display while turning pages is a bit annoying.
- The location of the power button is also a bit annoying while holding the device with one hand.