For those who love reading, there is no better device than Amazon’s Kindle series. At present, these are available in different models, notably: New Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage & Kindle Oasis. Let’s discuss about the most popular of them all – “Kindle Paperwhite“.
Kindle Paperwhite has an improved high-resolution of 300 ppi display for crisp, print-quality text. It is thinner than a pencil and lighter than a paperback, so you can hold it comfortably in one hand for long reading sessions. The latest Kindle Paperwhite reads like paper – no annoying glare, even in bright sunlight.
It has a 6 inch display with Carta e-paper technology with built-in front light – so you can read comfortably without straining your eyes. Screen brightness is adjustable for great reading in any light. Paperwhite is available in two variations: Paperwhite with Wi-Fi & Wi-FI + 3G.
Paperwhite Wi-Fi weights around 205 grams whereas Wi-Fi+3G weights around 217 grams. Paperwhite has a 4 GB of internal storage, which can hold a large number of books. Apart from this you will also get free cloud storage for all Amazon content. If we talk about the battery, it’s battery can last up-to six weeks on a single charge and can be fully charged in approximately 4 hours from a computer via USB cable though battery life will vary based on light and wireless usage
As far as connectivity is concerned, it can either be connected through a Wi-Fi, it supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or WPS, or through free 3G connection.
It supports good number of file formats including Kindle Format 8, Kindle, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP through conversion.
Highlights of Kindle Paperwhite
Let’s talk about some of the good features of this device:
- It is very thin, light and small. Easily fits in pocket.
- Once you switch on the device it automatically guides you about how to use it and register. Also there is a User’s Guide Ebook in Kindle which explains all functions.
- There are two separate models of Kindle Paperwhite. One with only Wifi and other one with Wifi and 3G. The 3G model has free internet usage. You will not be required to pay internet charges for downloading books from Amazon in 3G model.
- There are no glares on screen.
- Great for reading in daylight.
- There are 24 levels of brightness.
- Once charged, the battery can last more for almost six week.
- When you switch ON a smartphone or tablet it takes lot of time to boot and then it shows the home screen. But Kindle is switched ON in a second and shows the page which you were reading last time.
- While Reading the Ebook, Touching Screen on Right Bottom will turn the page forward. Touching Screen on Left Bottom will turn the page backward. Touching Screen anywhere on Top will show the Top Toolbars & Menu.
- You can take Screenshot in Kindle of any screen like Home Screen, EBook Cover, EBook Page etc. You have to touch simultaneously Top Left and Bottom Right of the screen with your fingertip. A png file will be created.
- You can download MOBI, PRC, PDF, TXT, AZW3 ebooks from internet, Then transfer to your kindle from your computer through USB Cable and read them.
- The Dictionary and Wikipedia options are very much helpful.
- It comes with two dictionaries inbuilt viz. ‘Oxford Dictionary of English’ and ‘The New Oxford American Dictionary’ (Default). You can download a third dictionary with in Kindle free of cost ‘Merriam Webster’s Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary’ if required.
- The ‘Vocabulary builder’ is so good in improving your vocabulary.
- You can read magazines on Kindle. There is separate section for ‘Magazines in Kindle Store’ on Amazon website. But magazines will be visible only in Black & White on Kindle. Most of the Popular Magazines are not available in Kindle Formats. You can download free magazines from other sites in PDF format and read it.
- Hundreds or even thousands of books can be stored as the e-book file sizes are small.
- You can get e-book version of almost any book at comparatively lower price.
- You can read books in your regional languages as well, font works well (There are lot of kindle e-books in regional languages available in Amazon, and still growing).
- You can read without any distractions like message or e-mail notifications.
Drawbacks of Kindle Paperwhite
It also has some shortcomings mainly:
- It supports landscape as wall as portrait mode but not auto rotate.
- No memory card slots on this device though it has a lot of in built memory which is sufficient enough.
- Screen is completely Black and White. No Colors. It cannot play Video, Audio or Games.
- Does not display PDF files properly, the font is very small. If you enlarge it you have to scroll left and right to read each line.
- You will not get free Wifi in Wifi only model. But you get Free 3G data in Wifi+3G Model.
- There should be a speaker inbuilt in Kindle, You can’t listen to Audio Books in Kindle. But on Tablet/Smartphone you can listen.