Akismet is a must have anti spam plugin that every blogger should install. This plugin saves your time by filtering out the real comment from spam comments. Akismet checks the comments posted on your blog against their global database of spam to prevent your site from publishing malicious content. You can find the set of essential plugins every WordPress blog should have in our previous article Top 8 WordPress plugin.
In order to configure and activate Akismet plugin for FREE with an API key follow the below steps:
1. Go to your blog Dashboard and click on Plugins > Installed Plugins. Under Akismet plugin click on Activate.
2. Once you click on “Get your key” you will be redirected to Akismet website. Fill in your email address and other details to signup or if you have Jetpack plugin installed or activated you can use its login details to sign up. In case you want to sign us using different email address click on Sign up with different email address and fill up your details.
3. Once you log in to Akismet, click on Get Basic button to get Free subscription.
4. On the next page you will be asked to fill in Payment method even though you choose Basic subscription. Do not worry we at bytedeets.com are here to help you get it for FREE.
5. Scroll the sliding bar under Akismet Basic to change the plan. Drag the bar to $0. Fill in your details and click on Continue button.
6. Click on activate this site to enable Akismet protect your blog from unwanted spam comments.
7. Check your email for the key, and add it to your Akismet configuration page or If you logged in to Akismet using Jetpack you will be redirected to pre-filled configuration page. Click on Save Changes button and you are all set.
In case you need any help in configuration and activation of Akismet Plugin on your blog drop in your comment.
Happy blogging 🙂